Total Pageviews

Monday, May 11, 2009

Cody Film Review: Star Trek

I'm gonna try not to step on Hal's toes here, but their will be some repeating. First of all I did enjoy this movie, it's a good summer movie. Star Trek is full of action, has a great cast, and is a lot of fun. The problem is I am a greedy person who always wants more. The main problem I had with the film was what is the bloody hurry? This movie didn't have to have the whole gang in their positions by the end of the movie so we are all comfortable. I didn't need to see Sulu and Chekov sitting where they always sit performing the duties they will do for the next 30 years. Obviously it hard to get a promotion on the Enterprise. Uhura(Zoe Saldana) was the only original series secondary character I felt was good in this film. Her moments with Spock were some of the best scenes in the movie. I have always felt that Star Trek is about Kirk, Spock and McCoy and the rest of the cast is just window dressings. J.J. Abrams cast three good leads(Pine,Quinto,and Urban) with great chemistry. I wanted more interaction at the Academy with friendship development than wall to wall battle scenes. It would have been great to see more Captain Pike(Bruce Greenwood) as a mentor to Kirk. He was used more as a stepping stone for Kirk to get to the Captain's seat. I really liked the story and I thought it was a clever way to reboot the series by throwing away the past we are all used to. That being said I did think the movie was predictable and followed a formula. Unlike Hal I did enjoy future Spock. The scenes between Nimoy and Kirk and young Spock are great scenes. I knew there would be a few tongue and cheek jokes,but I was hoping Abrams would take this reboot a little more serious. I thought it was a mistake to start McCoy off so strong then have him do nothing but stupid quotes from movies past for the second half of the film. I like Simon Pegg, but he annoyed the hell out of me as Scotty. Every scene he is in he's cracking jokes and providing comic relief. Star Trek is a Sci-Fi action film and I really didn't go see this film to laugh or bond with nerds. Overall it's a great summer blockbuster, but just a good movie that could have been so much more. 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment