Total Pageviews

Monday, March 30, 2009

The Doomsday Machine: Episode 3


Those of us who have a passion for movies have fond memories of going to the theater. Our generation was especially lucky going to see the Hollywood epics of he late 70's and early 80's. 'Star Wars', 'Superman', 'E.T.'and 'Back to the Future' were all grand experiences that we will always remember. The inventions of home video and cable TV were something also near and dear to us growing up because it gave us convenience and allowed us to see more movies in their true original state than we ever would have imagined. It did, however, signal the beginning of something we may be losing today, now, more than ever...the theater experience. That is not to say that we don't enjoy going to the theater anymore, but now that we (most of us anyway) have grown up a little, sometimes it's easier just to punch something up on demand than it is to drive across the street to see a movie. Now we all have our iPods, or other personal media players which allow us to watch (albeit in high quality) video that's only on a 3.5 inch screen. If something is going to make my life easier, I'm usually behind it, but in this case I have mixed feelings. I like the idea of physically being able to carry something around with me that will allow me to watch something whenever I want, but I'm only going to limit that to material that I am very familiar with and 99 times out of 100 it's only going to be the equivalent to an SNL skit or at most, a 30 minute sitcom that I've seen a hundred times. I've tried to watch an hour long TV drama on my iPhone and I can safely say I will never do it again, let alone an entire movie. You can't see shit on a 3.5” screen, no matter how much you think you got out of it, you missed something. This episode leads off with the YouTube clip of David Lynch giving this very opinion.


this clip takes me back to working in the theater.....those were the days

Enjoy the show.




1 comment:

  1. Good Stuff. The General Cinemas footage brought me back to mid-late '80's at North Hills Mall.

    ReplyDelete