Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Cody's Film Review: Up In The Air


I really enjoyed this film but it was nothing groundbreaking or too original. Of course George Clooney can make anything watchable, but his character is nothing he hasn’t done in the past. The story is a good one and really does strike a cord with anyone who has been affected with the present state of the economy. All of the acting is good, but the relationship between Clooney and Vera Farmiga was what I enjoyed the most. They play off each other very well and I was geniuinly interested in them ending up together in the end. The weakness of the film was the Backpack motivation speech Clooney’s character was pushing, I thought it was a weak idea and it never convinced me in any way that it was a real idea that would sale. I thought Clooney’s character was solid and the viewer doesn’t need the backpack theory to support his ideals. I liked Anna Kendrick, but her idea of termination via the internet instead of in person is not very revolutionary, and thought it was a idea that would have been toyed with 8 years earlier. Luckily these two plot points don’t drive the entire film, but there was enough to bother me. Up In The Air did follow a few clichés, especially at the end that made it a little predictable, but I did like how the movie ended. I enjoyed how Clooney’s character had some strong belief’s and goals and happy with his life and set in his ways. As soon as he begins to question his lifestyle he gets everything he ever wanted, and it's not enough. He now must continue with the way things were and it ends up tragic. I thought it took some guts to end the film the way it did and do recommend it. It’s a good movie, but think it getting too much attention as a great film, which it isn’t. Clooney floats this boat with a strong supporting cast and Jason Reitman is proving he is a good director with a bright future. If a great script drops in his lap he has the potential to make a great film. 3.5 out of 5 stars


1 comment:

  1. Agreed. A little more original and thought provoking than your average holiday love story, but as little as I've seen this year it's still not enough for me to put it as one of the best of 09. I think the screenplay was the strongest element. Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner did a fabulous job of not spoon-feeding the audience yet getting ideas across in a concise manner. Clooney is great but he's just playing Clooney. I appreciated for most of the film that it was not too Cliche, but I didn't care for him getting up at his big speech and having a change of heart. Not only is it Cliche but we've seen Clooney do this in 'Intolerable Cruelty.' That scene followed by the shot of him running through the airport made the stock go down for me a little, but all in all it's not bad.

    ReplyDelete